Sample development





I spent this week experimenting with ways of building structure using stitch and wire. I began testing on a variety of materials including wools, faux leathers and canvas materials and seeing how they would react to the same technique.





chose to work on white/off white fabrics to begin with as I wanted to see solely how the material was reacting to the folds/pleats/stitch marks. However, I have plans to print designs and shapes included in my previous samples and drawings to use as a base for the techniques shown above. I have also realised that I don’t want to lose the feel of my other samples to I want to experiment with adding areas of structure to flat embroidered and printed surfaces. I also felt this would work in regards to the images of the Armour I have been using for inspiration for the latter part of my sampling as in most of these images, the textured, pleated areas do not cover the entire piece.

I created stencils taken from drawings in my sketchbook to use in the print room to use as a base to work into with pleating, embroidery and further appliqué. I have also taken shapes from my drawings/samples to use for a laser cut design. I plan on using the shapes both as a way of adding structure to my samples but also to use for applique and beads.   

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PULP

PULP Development

Evaluation – Self Initiated