Project Development



After my first feedback tutorial following summer, i decided to select pages/drawings out of my summer work and begin a new sketchbook as i felt a lot of the work was no longer important to the development of my project. i began the next stage of my project by going to the Whitworth Gallery to see the William Kentridge 'Thick Time' exhibition. One part in particular stood out to me, this was entitled "O Sentimental Machine". A room set up to replicate a Hotel Lobby, this installation made me recognise the significance of composition within a space, and how every object is specifically chosen, positioned and has now earned a home within this space.

After drawing from this exhibition, i began to consider my own space or 'personal museum' that i have put together since moving back to uni. Looking at both the conscious and subconscious decisions that i have made regarding what items i decided to bring with me, where they belong, what they belong next to and why they now live where they do.

The idea of a Personal Museum came from my CP essay i wrote last year about the importance of a certain object. Below is a section from the aforementioned that i want to focus on and explore within this project.

"I began to think that maybe our ‘personal museums’ allow us to give more meaning to our objects than they otherwise would have, possibly providing a level of comfort as we surround ourselves with objects and photos that we have given meaning and importance to by giving them a place in our every day surroundings. This suggestion of ‘comfort’ links to the ideas that Csikszentmihalyi has raised that ‘one consequence of our evolution as cultural beings has been an increasing dependence on objects for survival and comfort.’ (Csikszentmihalyi, 1993 :20). "



I began using collage as a method of drawing to enable me to pick up and move around the different elements of my drawing, like i would within my room.



I really enjoyed working with collage as i don't frequently use it, and despite being pleased with the look of these drawings, i struggle to see how they can be translated into textiles as they are quite literal drawings and this is not how i like to work in fabric. i want to try and develop this idea into something more visually exciting, without losing the context behind the work.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PULP

PULP Development

Evaluation – Self Initiated