PULP development



Current contextual research for PULP development

i ro se - Leather folded purse


Bookhou fold and sew paper wallet






Inspired by the artists above, I had a go at using my paper to make some functional products, a card holder and a wallet. The paper can be fairly easily manipulated by folding but it eventually tears and cracks. I also wanted to attach the pieces together with hand embroidery but each needle hole created a large tear so i made these tests using glue/bulldog clips. The paper almost needs a piece of support fabric on the folds and seams but ideally I want them to be 100% paper.




I noticed that the weaker points of the paper were where i joined smaller pieces up or the edges so i made a large paper making frame in the canvas stretching workshop out of pine and mesh. This should hopefully eliminate the above problems.

I also want to replicate the liquid in a jar of pickled beetroots, as previously this made my fabric very bendy, just vinegar and water did not achieve the same consistency.

Do i need to coat my fabric to make it more durable? wax? waterproof it somehow?

With two weeks left of the unit, I plan to take this project as far as I can but with the amount of time the paper takes to dry I'm unsure what I will be able to produce in terms of products. However, I have really enjoyed developing this method and don't want to leave it unfinished. I plan to take this idea forward into Unit X and will hopefully perfect my pulp 'recipe' and be able to produce some useable products











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PULP

PULP Development

Evaluation – Self Initiated