PULP structures


PULP structures made using flat sheets of partially dry paper dyed with blue ink.

The two images below were made using a semi dry piece of paper. I moulded the paper on the insisde of a bowl. This created cracks in the bottom of the bowl as i had to push it in to form the shape.





For the next pot, I draped the paper over a jar and created folds to both mould it and create some texture.


Although i'm pleased with the stability of this piece i think the folds make the piece look too messy and not the look i'd like to achieve.



This was the most successful of the tests as the shape is really strong and can actually be used to store pens etc. as it holds itself up well. I also really like the texture that has been pressed into the paper from the tea towel it was placed on to dry. I want to try imprinting various other patterns into the paper to give them a more interesting, decorative look and to maybe make them look less like paper.


Research for my CP3 essay has made me aware of three strands of sustainability, one being economic. Meaning products have to fit into a current market in terms of price, design and functionality. I want my pulp vessels to be a purchasable item so i really want to work on the design and the quality of the pieces now that i have achieved a strong structure. This week i'll play around with colours, shapes and imprints and see how far i can develop my pulps.

























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PULP

PULP Development

Evaluation – Self Initiated