Evaluation – Self Initiated




In my self-initiated project, I aimed to push myself to work with materials I don’t regularly work with as I have found in previous projects it is easy to allow yourself to become comfortable with materials.  So, after deciding in wanted to focus on rock climbing walls, and the feeling of climbing as my theme I began making 3D samples, using different materials with 3D capabilities such as clay, sponge and fabrics filled with rice/wadding.


 Visually, I found my samples really interesting but felt the initial ideas I wanted to portray had been lost through my making process. This is when I started adding more interactive components into my samples. This is also when the idea came to build a non-functioning climbing wall. Something that would appear to support you but in actual fact would cause you to fall, emulating the feeling I have when rock climbing. For example, below is a sample made from Baked clay and para cord, seemingly strong but when weight was applied the piece came away from the wall. When mounting my work, i decided to use velcro to achieve this same effect as in the video below. 




Generally, i am pleased with the final outcome of this project and with the work i produced throughout and felt as though my ideas were shown through my samples. I do however feel as though i could have played around more, and spent more time testing with different materials and i would have liked to have built a life size climbing wall that functioned as i wanted it to. However, making a piece as large as that wouldn't have been possible in the time i had, i have instead visualised what my work might look like situated in a climbing centre as shown below.




Below are images of my final mounted boards




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PULP

PULP Development