Engineering embroidery - Evaluation



began this project by thinking about how I could challenge both myself, and the brief. My initial thoughts were to look at different elements luxury cars possess, such as seatbelts, seat covers, dashboards etc. and how I could reinvent these elements in a more exciting fashion. However, after beginning my research I became interested in the idea of making Luxury more familiar. This idea stemmed from travelling on the London Underground, noticing the interior, specifically the tube flooring. I wanted to incorporate the speckled pattern of the flooring and the colour scheme into the more traditional interiors of luxury cars.




As noted on the brief, “Rolls-Royce cars have developed the finest quality ‘embroidered’ high-end bespoke car interiors” so I decided to set myself the constraint of working exclusively in machine/hand embroidery during this project.

I wanted to ensure I maintained a level of attention to detail within my work as well keeping elements of the traditional look of luxury interiors. So, when I first began sampling and responding to my research on the tube interiors, I was careful to select appropriate materials such as wool and thick cottons to keep in tune with luxury of car interiors.

Working exclusively with embroidery in such a detailed manner really challenged me throughout this project as my work previously has always been on a much larger scale and has not been so intricate. I continued working in this way and pushing myself throughout the course of the project and developing my ideas further. 



Overall, I'm really happy with how my sampling developed over this project and feel i successfully brought together the luxury with the familiar travel. However, i feel i could have pushed my ideas further in this project and could have developed my samples further in order to challenge myself further. This may have come down to time management as the way in which i chose to work was slow. I could have introduced different ways of embroidery such as the Multi Head machine to allow myself more time to push my ideas. This is something i will focus on in my self initiated brief in the next project.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PULP

PULP Development

Evaluation – Self Initiated